The Slippery Noodle
The Slippery Noodle Inn was originally founded in 1850 as the Tremont House. It is Indiana’s oldest, continually operated bar in the original building. The Noodle is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Originally it was a roadhouse (predecessor to the Holiday Inn) and a bar. It has traditionally been owned by people of German decent and it was one of the first German clubs in Indianapolis. The Noodle has been through several name changes over the years. In the 1860’s the name was changed to the Concordia House. This name came from the first German Lutheran immigrant ship to land in the new world (the Concord). As a side note, there is a cemetery on south Meridian Street named Concordia.
In later years the name was changed to the Germania House. It remained the Germania House until the start of World War I at which time German associations were to be avoided so the owner, Louis Beck, changed the name to Beck’s Saloon. Prior to Prohibition, Walter Moore purchased the saloon and named it Moore’s Beer Tavern. During Prohibition it was renamed Moore’s Restaurant (although beer was still made in the basement). After Prohibition ended in 1935, it was renamed Moore’s Beer Tavern. In the late 1940’s Boris Petercheff purchased the saloon. Another side note, Boris’s son piloted the helicopter for President Lyndon B. Johnson when he came to town for the ground breaking of the downtown Post Office. He was killed shortly thereafter while test piloting an experimental jet. Boris ran the tavern until early 1963 when Emelia Finehout, the property owner, took over. She found out all too quickly that she did not enjoy running a tavern, and promptly put the business up for sale.
Harold and Lorean Yeagy (Hal’s parents) bought the bar in late 1963, taking final possession on December, Friday the 13th. The “Slippery Noodle Inn” was named by Hal’s dad after a lengthy family debate (Hal was six years old). Names were thrown out for the family to vote on and at about 5 a.m. “Slippery Noodle Inn” sounded pretty darn good. The Noodle has remained in the Yeagy family since that time. Hal took over the bar in 1985 after his father’s death and since that time it has grown from a one room lunch counter into the Midwest’s premiere blues club.
The “Inn” has been used in all types of activities. In the Civil War years it was a way station for the Underground Railroad. Later years saw a bordello open in the once luxurious Inn. It remained open until 1953 when a patron was killed. Two customers of the bordello got into an argument over one of the women, one killing the other and leaving the bloody knife on the bar. During Prohibition the Brady & Dillinger gangs used the building in back, originally built as a horse stable for the Inn, for target practice. Several of the slugs remain embedded in the lower east wall. In addition to liquor and beer being distilled in the building, cattle and swine were slaughtered and butchered in the basement. The meat hooks and water lines can still be found in the basement.
The ceiling in the front barroom is made from pressed tin. It was installed circa 1890. The “tiger oak” bar and back bar are well over a 100 years old and believed to be original. The trough at the edge of the bar was used as the cash register in the olden days. The “honor” system worked or else the colt 45 did! The Noodle is the oldest commercial building left standing in Indianapolis and the Tremont House sign painted on the north side of the building dates back to the 1850’s.
Upcoming Events at The Slippery Noodle
Past Events at The Slippery Noodle
Sat, Jan 04, 2020 9:15 PM – Sat, Jan 04, 2020 11:45 PM @ The Slippery Noodle
This Saturday 3to1 will be rocking the front room starting at 9:15pm.
Tom Kiefaber – guitar, vocals
Joe O’Connell – drums
Jon McKinney – bass, vocals
Bill Mallers – keyboards, vocals
Tags: Live Music, 3 to 1, Grateful Dead, Classic Rock